Thursday, April 9, 2009

Wasting Brain Matter

While I'm writing tonight's blog, my family is all huddled under blankets and quilts watching television. They are watching Harper's Island, or something close to that name. I'm just amazed at how boring, dumb, idiotic television has become over the past few years. Well maybe the last 10 years. Is there really nothing else these people, my family, can do but sit in front of the idiot box and stare.

I can see watching a good movie from time to time but to constantly watch the same scenario's on television, with the biggest difference in some of the shows is just the networks they are on, all afternoon and night is driving me mad.

What happened to the days when kids played with Lincoln logs, or etcher sketches? Where are the blanket and cushion forts that took hours of our time, and deep thought on what would be the best way to construct them. Or what happened to running around outside and actually playing army, instead of sitting on their butts playing it on xbox?

My family has 5 televisions in this house. Three of them have DVR type cable boxes on them and the other 2 have just cable on them. Technically we have over 200 channels to watch, and there is absolutely nothing worth watching. Sure there is the Biography, Military, Discovery, Sports, and other "educational" type channels, but what's with the other ones. Cartoon Network, MTV (which doesn't even play music anymore), Spike, USA etc. that offer nothing but brain melting programs. REALLY Cartoon Network? Who the heck needs cartoons all day long. We were lucky to watch 2 hours of cartoons on a Saturday when we were kids.

I suppose I could remove the cable boxes to start, and then eventually remove some of the televisions. Replace the entertainment centers with bookshelves, loaded up with books and board games. I could teach my children to play hide-n-go seek, freeze tag, kick the can and fun games like that. Have the children spend time outside from dawn until dusk with nothing but imaginations, bikes, sticks, bricks and a board to play with all day.

Wow they would sleep much better, be more educated, develop real social skills, and more then anything be happy with life as I knew it.

Today's society has driven everyone into the house, discouraged individuality, social skills, and having true fun. I think if it is to be it is up to me. I will start taking away the televisions, replace the entertainment centers with bookshelves, books and games, and spend more time outside myself playing games.

Wish me luck.

Peace, Love & Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment